Monday, November 20, 2006

But maybe someday when they've learned...

What a way to start the week. The line at work was down for a good chunk of the day, and of course it was my day to have hands on experience with the machines. Go fig that the machines decide that it would be a great day to have pick-up issues. So I spent a fair deal of the time watching the tech's work on the programming. Though its going to be a short week due to Thanksgiving, and not to mention my last week being on first shift. Come Monday, I take my rightful position on second shift. Ahhhh, I can't wait till that day. Sure it makes for a crappy day, but at least I get out at a decent time to get home and still relax before hitting the hay. Not to mention, no bumper to bumper traffic! Woohoo!

Today my daughter, age 7, brought in her native American Indian vest she had to make from a brown grocery store bag as a school project. My wife thought she would check online on some good techniques to make one, and came across one where you lightly dampen the bag with water and then when it was damp, you wad it up into a ball. You then gently un-wad the ball and when the bag dries, it has the appearance of suede or faux leather. At first I was a little hesitant about it, but when I saw the finished product, I was actually surprised. After it was finished, they checked online for the typical designs and made it from the descriptions as well as the pictures provided as a guide.

When she put on the faux leather paper garb on at school, she was questioned by the teacher as well as the students why she didn't have much design on her outfit like all the other kids in the class whose were brazenly fashioned. She smartly looked at the teacher and responded, "I went to a Indian website and made it exactly how the native Indians had their clothing made, and the crumpling was to make it look like leather." Well needless to say, the teacher responded with a condescending 'Oh.' Whatever happen to teachers commending a child for creative individuality versus blindly following a stereotype.


I feel sorry for her teacher the day she tries to explain the all-too-familiar Thanksgiving story to my daughter. She's certainly going to get an earful. My daughter can't wait to watch the program on the History Channel about the pilgrims when they first came to America. She loves hearing the truth behind history, rather than the sugar-coated garbage schools have been teaching throughout the years. History has always been written through the eyes of the victors, and viewed as canon.

I couldn't help but feel the following video was appropriate brought on by todays event. Enjoy.

(For better playback, push play then immediately pause to let the video load completely.)


Thanks for stopping by! Peace, take care, and bright blessings to everyone out there!

TODAY'S BUMPER STICKER








Redwolf